Maybe She is Listening After All


I try to set a positive example for my soon to be 8 year old daughter, Sydney. 


 I want her to be a kind and compassionate person.  I try to reinforce what the Bible says about helping others:

"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." 
Hebrews 13:16

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also the interests of others." 
Philippians 2:4

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in Heaven." 
Matthew 5:16 

As hard as I try to instill these values in her, I wonder sometimes if she is listening.  Does she understand what I am trying to teach her?  Sydney goes to public school here in town and I hope that she is "salt & light" in her classroom.

For a St. Patrick's Day activity, Sydney's teacher had the children answer this writing prompt:
  
What would you do if you caught a leprechaun and he gave you a pot of gold?

This was Sydney's response:




 If you have trouble reading second grade handwriting, she wrote

If I caught a leprechaun and he gave me a pot of gold, I will give things to people who need them.  I will give toys and food to them.  I will give them lots of things.  I hope they like them.  I will get new houses for them too.  The houses will be very big.  I hope that they will be very happy.

 I would have guessed that she would have used the gold to buy toys and pets for herself.  I was so excited to see that she thought of others instead of herself.  Maybe she does listen to me sometimes!

2 comments:

  1. With a mom like you she has a very good model to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,. are you kidding? With all that you do for the food bin ministry, children's ministry, and women's ministry she has a great role model in your actions...your actions speak louder than words my dear!!!!!!!!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS